[pct-l] horses on PCT

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 13:36:48 CDT 2008

Susan,
I am very familiar with the JMT and most of the other trails that are further west in the region of your inquiry. There are no alternate routes that would be passable to horses before about August 10 in a normal year. If it is mid-June when you get to Trail Pass you should descend to Horseshoe Meadow, as I did, and trailer north to Sierra City. Tioga Pass will have too much snow as will Donner Pass. In 2004 the Fosters trailered to Tioga, found too much snow so went on to Donner. They got through but there was lots of snow and it was really risky for thier horses. That's why, after reading thier trail notes, I decided to restart at Sierra City. There is another really bad place north of the A-tree, ( north of S. City ), I have a hand-written map showing how to get past. The Fosters took that alternate. For stock use in Sequoia and Kings Canyon N.P.'s info you could call the wilderness office in Three Rivers Ca. (559) 565-3766 or (559) 5653708. At that
 second number ask for Gary, he is a helpfull person, and sent me lots of info by mail. Thier website is www.nps.gov/seki/bcinfo.htm
Ed Anderson, aka MendoRider