[pct-l] The Thousand Lakes Wilderness, Clarke's Original PCT route, vs the Hat Creek Rim

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 11:08:14 CDT 2008

Thanks, once again, Deems, for the great photos...  It brought back many memories...
When we moved from Yreka to Redding, Magee Peak and Magee Lake became one of my favorite
'quick' getaways - went in from Old Cow Creek trailhead many times...  A fantastic volcanic area...

> ...less private land easements, and the Rim trail avoids some prime timber producing lands...

I'm sure the timber interests and private land in the lower Hat Creek Valley came into play in
routing the PCT up onto the Rim...

> "...a tragic trail routing mistake that probably won't ever be corrected."

At least the USFS 'corrected' some of it - it was built and routed away from Old Station and up onto
the Rim much sooner years ago...  It went North from the western side of Badger Mtn. and then
turned NE, climbed a 300' escarpment to Little Bunchgrass Meadow and then along the NW base
of West Prospect Peak before climbing the 900' Hat Creek Rim escarpment due West of Baker Lake...
Most of that stretch in typical thru season is waterless - it would have been more than 50 waterless miles!
See <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/lassen/17.php> and look for the "PHARMS TRAIL"...
If you have National Geographic TOPO! California software, it is labeled "Pacific Crest National Scenic
Trail" in addition to the Pharms Trail label in that area...
(BTW, all the CA region USFS "Forest Visitor Maps" can be viewed online at
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/>...  FYI / FWIW)

> PCT history can be fun, and a great way to understand the trail's many
> changes over the decades.

Yes, indeed!  I have the two original Wilderness Press guides (along with a couple of later years and
the latest editions) plus the USFS 1973 "Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail (California Portion)" in my
PCT 'library'...
Very interesting to compare the 'planned' route (and some 'completed' portions) as to where it is today!
Another 'planned' portion that will probably never come about is in Deems' backyard - the bridge over the
Klamath River near Fort Goff (West of Seiad Valley)...  The six mile road walk from Grider Creek through Seiad Valley will be there for many generations, if not permanently...

> Clarke avoided the Marbles and Trinity Alps, which is one section where the current route is
> superior to his version.

I most definitely agree - but I am obviously biased since I grew up in that area and still consider it "home"...

Thanks for the memories, Deems!  Happy trails!!!
Jim "PITA" Payne