[pct-l] How do you distinguish scuzzy "Hiker Trash" from a grubby "Homeless Bum"?

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Sep 14 05:11:51 CDT 2008

Unsupported Reinhold writes: That is right Switchback, I am a scuzzy looking Dude on the trail.  I don't wear silk underwear and Designer Showcase hiking wardrobe like some hikers I know.  My hiker wardrobe is the of the finest quality available at Goodwill.  And at .75 cents per shirt & shorts I'm not nervous about rolling around in the dirt.  Besides, dirt is good for you.
Switchback replies: The only thing dirt is good for is getting into your hiker food to give it flavor.  Otherwise, forget it.  I prefer to have a nice hiking wardrobe to look presentable on the trail.  You never know who you will run into out there.  I like to think of myself as a trail fashion plate.

Each year I like to color coordinate my hiking wardrobe for the new hiking season and campaign.  I think everyone should do this -- it would be very uncouth and uncivilized not too.  It is just some of us are more successful than others and have a better eye for color coordinating.  Going seasonal gear shopping and comparing fabrics, textures, and colors is one the most fun things in backpacking - something all hardcore backpackers are good at.  You obviously have a problem and a talent deficit and are not receiving in the mail the latest catalogs from all the major gear makers -- you are not on their mailing list.

To be seen hiking in last year's clothing styles/colors would be embarrassing and a social snafu on the trail.