[pct-l] How do you distinguish scuzzy "Hiker Trash" from a grubby "Homeless Bum"?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Sep 11 21:14:36 CDT 2008

I think it is harder to be mistaken for homeless bum if you are a
woman. Meth-head, runaway or something like that maybe, but ordinary
homeless, not likely.

I don't think I ever looked much different from my normal self while
I was hiking. Just a little dirtier and a lot smellier.

My story is the opposite. When I arrived in South Lake Tahoe I wanted
to do my laundry at the laundromat but I didn't have anything to wear
while I did it. So I went to K-Mart and bought the cheapest thing I
could find -- a pink tank top and gray capris pants. After I washed
up and changed into this outfit, not a single hiker would acknowledge
my presence. They actually had a look of disdain in their eyes, as if
someone in a pink tank-top just couldn't understand their superior
lifestyle. I felt so alone. I was happy to get my laundry done and
put on my orange PCT class of 2008 scarf.