[pct-l] instant mashed potatoes

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 11:50:54 CDT 2008

I found that it was really easy to pre-prepare instant mashed potatoes at home and put them in my resupply boxes.  I just put them in a bag with powdered milk, salt, and butter buds (garlic powder would have been a smart addition, and/or pepper!).

On the trail, I found that they were a good base from which to add other foods.  For example, add some jerky, cheese, whatever you have on hand.  I even added powdered refried beans and more water than normal to make a nice bean and potato soup.  You can add the flakes to thicken regular soup as well, and a little hot sauce gives it a totally different flavor.

Its versatility and ease/speed of preparation makes it a great trail food (to say nothing of the amount of lightweight, easily digestible carohydrates).

Iron Chef, PCT 02