[pct-l] Poopy Rocks?

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Fri Oct 31 13:35:50 CDT 2008

Hi, Diane,

Per your response to my Outward Bound story, I can tell you that I
would be pretty upset to come across a rock so smeared also ... I
wish I hadn't included this comment, or at least indicated that there
are few ... VERY few instances ... where this would be considered
best practice.  And that would certainly NOT include any part of the
PCT!  The only places I engaged in this (once? twice?) during our OB
course in the San Juans were way way cross country and off trail, in
predominantly rocky, talusey areas, at very high altitude, 13,000 to
14,000 feet, ...  in places that might not see a human being more
than a few times a year.  The extreme ultraviolet light and ultra dry
air at these altitudes sterilizes and composts the feces in a matter
of DAYS, turning it into a fine silty dust that the wind then
scatters among the rocks.  Although I have traveled extensively cross
country, off trail, in very remote parts of the Sierras in the past
15 years, I have never been in circumstances there where this
practice would have been appropriate.

I carry two bandanas when I hike, the left pocket one is for blowing
my nose, and the right pocket one is my pee cloth for dabbing.  I
like your idea of the little squirt bottle, I think I will adopt that.

I live near you (Ojai) and I agree that mule ears do not grow in our
Los Padres backcountry (that I am aware of).  I was enchanted at your
mention of lambs ears.  I grow these in my garden and love to stroke
them.  I have often considered how wonderful it would be if they were
wild growing natives in the mountains behind my home.  I rarely see
anything back there that I considered useful for the purposes under
discussion.  The occasional sycamore leaf perhaps.  I am much more
concerned at the prospect, on a late fall or winter hike, of
squatting unbeknownst in a little patch of denuded poison oak
branches and suffering the consequences.

Happy Trails,

Two Legs