[pct-l] Water Capacity in Desert

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 29 18:44:55 CDT 2008

Also, I forgot to mention this, it was unseasonably cool most times I
dropped into true desert. Scissors Crossing was only in the 80s when
I arrived. I stayed in Cabazon so that desert section was air-
conditioned for me. The Antelope Valley was almost cold. We huddled
under the bridge with down jackets and sleeping bags. Jawbone Cyn was
in the 90s. Hat Creek Rim was in the 90s. I was lucky. The hottest
day for me was Deep Creek at 103 and there was plenty of water there.

I don't think I could have carried 8 liters of water even if I wanted
to. It would be too much for me. I am more used to the chaparral than
a lot of people, though.

Also, I noticed that the ultralighters would walk past any water
source that was shallow or looked dirty. I took water from any
natural source that would not kill me, even stopping at tiny little
puddles to top off. So I carried only a maximum of 5.5 liters at any
time, but I kept it full.

Piper/Diane