[pct-l] Knee problems and backpacking

jolson at olc.edu jolson at olc.edu
Wed Oct 29 15:59:04 CDT 2008

I chuckled when I read Ralph's advice.  My current strategy is play 9
holes of golf 4 to 5 times a week on a very hilly course, carrying the
clubs and a half gallon of water in gatorade bottles.  I hit seven balls
at every tee (I'm the only one out there most of the time).  I'm not any
good, and don't really care - a couple good shots a round satisfies me.  I
get lots of walking and ankle strengthening exercise searching for balls
on rattlesnake infested, knee to waist high grassy hills.

I also play golf in the winter - painting my balls fluorescent pink.
Walking on snow adds another dimension to the exercise.  But next spring
I'll play at a fast walk, slow run to up the cardio capacity.

This summer I expect to hike from Castella to Bend, and I'll start at 8 -
10 miles a day, working up to 20 mpd or so after four weeks, at which time
I'll have to go back to work.

I've started in terrible shape and it took 6 weeks for the pain to recede
and miles to rise to 20 mpd...  Starting slow and listening to the pain
helps keep injury away...

Jeff
martin, SD