[pct-l] Water Capacity in Desert

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Oct 29 14:32:20 CDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com wrote:
> I think 8 liters sounds like too much. But you know your own body. I
> never carried more than 5.5 liters and frankly, that was too much for
> me. I almost always had some water left when I came to a source.

You don't say if you relied on water caches at all.  That is important
to know and the original poster said he was *not* going to rely on
water caches.

In hot weather, when not using water caches, I think it would be
wise to be able to carry 7-8 liters of water.  With those constraints
it is also very important to not hike during the heat of the day.  Get
up early, take a long siesta, hike late.

Radar