[pct-l] one more lesson learned: another reason to be a section hiker

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 28 13:16:39 CDT 2008

One lesson reinforced this otherwise successful weekend:   you can never
carry too much toilet paper and imodium.    I did not have any outside
food since Friday night, I only passed one other hiker briefly, I pumped
all my water and added a small dose of iodine to the pumped water...
but for the second time I suffered an intestinal upset verging on
incontinence (previous time was July 2007 in the Marble Mountains).

As before imodium did not help right away, but stopping hiking did.    That's
seldom an option for me, so I am glad these occasions happened on days
I planned to hike out anyway.

So I am wondering if some combination of physical stress/dehydration/
strange water/strange food can lead to some kind of mechanical irritation.
That's my problem to figure out, but the more general lesson is... sometimes
it's a good idea to carry more than the minimum that you know you'll need.