[pct-l] bounce bucket

Alden Dale alden at cedar-creek.com
Mon Oct 27 15:24:34 CDT 2008

Hey,

Another thing to think about is how much you will need this bounce
box. I was surprised by two things relevant to this discussion when I
did my 600 mile section.

1) How little I actually needed. I thought about a bounce box, and
had tons of stuff I might need, but I ended up running out of time
planning, and didn't bounce anything. If you have a team at home
somewhere that can hook you up with stuff if you need it (usually if
you request something at one town, it can be at the next town a week
later--- there is almost nothing you can't live a week without).

2) How little time there is in towns for all the things that needed
to get done. I had imagined walking into a town, lazily doing
everything that needed to be done, and being back on the trail 4 or 5
hours later. What I found instead was that I would be rushing around,
getting everything done I needed to (including the big hamburger---
that is a need thing) and barely making it out before night fell. I
ended up really screwing myself up, leaving a few places too later.
So, keep the things that must be done in a town to a minimum will
make you a happier hiker. I'm glad stopping by the post office,
tracking down a paint bucket, explaining to the post-person that I
could resend it for free, and getting it addressed to the next stop,
was not a part of my routine.

It might be a good idea for some (the ultra-light perhaps?) who have
no spare gear with them (I took a rain jacket the entire way) but it
will take a lot of time and effort, so seriously consider if it is
necessary for your hike, and your hiking style.

As with everything, you need to hike your own hike. Spend some time
determining what will make you have the pleasantest experience.

God Bless,

Alden