[pct-l] Ray Jardine's Quilt

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Wed Oct 22 01:44:07 CDT 2008

I have made two of Jardine's quilts.  I have made two of the bomber hats
too.

The first quilt was his standard quilt and temps below 35 were pushing it.
This makes sense since he rates the standard quilt at about 40 (I think).

The second one I made I opted for the Alpine upgrade.   Instead of two 0.75"
thick layers, it has two roughly 1" layers.  This pushes the rating to 28.
I find with all my clothes on this is comfortable to about 23.  I spent one
night at 12 degrees outside with my tarp pitched very low during a snow on
nice thick duff and was surprisingly very comfortable.   I think the low
tarp pitch had raised the temp in the shelter by 7 or 8 degrees.

The first one I made I used Ray's measurements exactly and I found the quilt
to be a little too small in both length and width.  If the quilt was wrapped
perfectly over you, and you did not move, it was fine.  However, I toss and
move a lot and I found it without enough margins for movement.

After reading some postings or online review (can't remember where), I found
another person with the exact same result.  The cut of the quilt using Ray's
measurements was too conservative.   The second one I made I made with an
extra two inches in length and width.  This, combined with the Alpine
upgrade, made for a great quilt.

I have been using my second quilt exclusively ever since.   I have come to
love it.

I did add one "hold down" feature.   A hold down is one of many ways to tack
the draft stopper down in when you are at the edge of cold (or if you just
toss a lot and tend to open the vents on the sides).   When it is cold, I
use this extra feature.   This takes some visualizing.  I have some 10 inch
flat line sewn to the edge of the draft stopper at four points (two on each
side).  Two are at roughly shoulder height, and two are at roughly hip
height.   The end of each 10" piece of line is a brass collar stay.  The
kind you use in a dress shirt.   So, imagine a small brass piece of metal in
the shape of collar stay (shape of a boat outline or rounded arrow).   I
drilled a tiny hole in the center of the brass arrow.  The line passes
through this hole and is tied so that it won't slip off.   So, if you can
imagine, if you turn this piece of metal lengthwise so that the line is
parallel and push it through a small slit, it flattens out on the other side
and anchors like this  (--- is the line,   x=small knot)
            }
            }
------------}x
            }
            }

I use a 1/2" foam pad to sleep on.  I have four corresponding small slits in
the foam.   When it gets cold, I wrap the line under the bottom of the foam,
then up and through a small slit in the foam.    This tucks about 1" of the
draft stopper under the foam and keeps the edges tucked even when I flip.

Long post, but it is rare I have valuable information to chime in.   So, I
am happy to participate.

Best to you and happy quilting!
Pink Gumby