[pct-l] How early can the sierras be entered?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Oct 21 21:12:46 CDT 2008

Good evening, Adam,

As you can see on the historical snow plot site
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2008.pdf  the residual
snowpack levels in May and June can vary greatly.  '83 was a heavy year but
there were some thru-hikers that season.  This plot for the spring '09
season should be definitive prior to a hiker needing to make a commitment to
leave Kennedy Meadows.  Heavy snowpack in the early season will require:  1)
Snow travel, route-finding, and snow camping experience; 2)  The weight of
additional gear; 3) The weight of additional food; 4) The understanding that
snow travel, route-finding, and greater weight means fewer miles per day --
hence even more weight of food, and; 5) The willingness and self-reliance to
hike a vast stretch of remote trail with many fewer other hikers.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^