[pct-l] April hiking

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Oct 20 13:03:23 CDT 2008

Roger and all other aspiring thrus,

Mid-April is a fairly typical start date.  Many hikers leave a week to 10
days before the KO, and then hitch back to the event, which is usually near
the end of April.

A "wait it out" strategy is one option, but I offer the following for
consideration.  I had the great privilege of hiking through the Sierras in
June-July of '06, a big snow year. I've been up there subsequently at the
same time of year, but in average snow conditions, and in the fall and
winter hiking, snowshoeing, and x-country skiing.  IMHO, snow can be your
friend; it is much easier to walk on consolidated snow than it is to walk on
snow that is rotting out, where you are post holing through. If you're ahead
of the peak melt-off, the streams are not as swollen. The point is, waiting
sets you up for a different set of challenges, not necessarily "better"
conditions.

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend spending time getting
comfortable hiking and camping on snow, learning how to self-arrest, use a
map and compass, and how to read snow conditions. Make sure you and your
gear are ready for what might get thrown at you. It will make you a more
prepared long-distance hiker, and it opens up a whole world of opportunity
and enchantment. Besides, it's fun!

L-Rod

p.s.  Please note that beginning in 2009, Hiker Heaven will limit the number
of hikers hosted on any single night to 50. There is also a two-night
maximum stay that was instituted this past season. Once we reach 50 hikers
in any given day, all others will be turned away (though all are welcome to
pick up their mail/packages, water reports, and information). Note that at
the present time there is nowhere else in Agua Dulce receiving or holding
hiker mail, so all mail should still be directed to Hiker Heaven.  To aid in
your planning, we begin to see spikes in excess of 50 hikers per night, and
as many as 65 hikers, around 3-5 weeks after the ADZ . . .