[pct-l] How late can one start the PCT (not being a record-setter type) and expect to finish.

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Oct 18 13:06:04 CDT 2008

On Oct 18, 2008, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Greetings, this is Todd
>
> I was known as Uberdude for people who did the AT in
> 06.
>
> I'm graduating from grad school on May 23rd and really
> want to do the PCT. I'm afraid that starting the 24th
> or 25th of May might be too late to do the PCT as a
> thru-hiker. Any thoughts?
>
> I did the AT in 5.75 months which is an average pace I
> guess.  I imagine I'll drink a lot less this time and
> the trail is graded a lot easier so I imagine I can
> get more miles in a day with the same effort.
>
> But I want to find out from the people that might
> know.  Can a "normal" PCT thru-hiker make the PCT
> starting May 25th?
>
> thanks,
>
> uberdude
>
> aka
> todd

It is possible to start that late. People do and are able to make it.
If it seems too hot at the beginning, you could start further up the
trail and return to complete the starting section at the end in the
fall. If it seems like you are too far behind, you can flip in the
middle and hike southbound.

You will not drink less. You will drink as much as you need and carry
more water with you. Carrying a lot of water is something to get used
to.

Enjoy your hike!