[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Trail Mix

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Oct 12 20:03:00 CDT 2008

Once again, Switchback, comes through for you.  I was down at the local Traders's Joe market and noticed something new.  They are selling Omega Trek Mix.  I comes in 10 small bags at 1.3 ounces each.  It is basically nuts with omega fortified cranberries.  I like the individual bags for portion control on the trail.  This looks like an excellent nut mix for hardcore backpacking.

On another note, I weighed my backpack with bear canister and it comes in at just over 16 pounds with all my goodies.  Of course, I have a belly pack too where I carry most of my water.

The only thing I have to add to my backpack is most of my food.  I use about 1.5 pounds of food per day on the trail.  No problem.  So, without the canister, I am good for about 4 days on the trail.  Not bad at all for a 20 pound backpack with a freestanding tent and air mattress.

If I upped my backpack capacity for food carrying to 30 pounds, then I could do some big time mileage with no problem.  I don't need to do that at this time, so I am okay.

I think I will consider going back to Yosemite NP and Tuolumne Meadows in a few weeks.  I don't like being run off by Mother Nature's big snowstorm this weekend.  Switchback has no rabbit in him.  We hardcore backpackers do not like to be denied our destiny and appointment with PCT in the Sierra mountain wilderness.