[pct-l] Passports

Richard Thalhammer rickt at macnexus.org
Mon Oct 6 15:53:36 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM, matthew lesniewicz
<mlesswicz at yahoo.com>wrote:

> So what's the deal with passports? I know it's the new law for reentry
> back into the states. Godbless homeland security!  What is it like
> at the
> border up in washington?

Since August, 2007, the US has been issuing so-called "E-Passports",
with a chip embedded in the back cover.  I have one of 'em; you have
no choice anymore.  You can go to the FAQ of the Dept. of State to
learn more:   http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2788.html but
the info probably won't reduce your paranoia.  According to the
website, the chip contains the same data, including an electronic
version of your photo, that is on the printed passport.  There are
some security precautions involved.  For example, the Passport is
apparently impregnated with some metal, preventing it being read
without opening first, which should help avoid someone tapping into it
without your permission as you walk about.  And, there are some other
measures that are touted as preventing copying, altering or
substituting the info.

One interesting point was that, if the chip didn't work, the passport
remains valid as if it were like one of the old ones, pre-chip.  I
don't know what to make of that; do you?

I recently returned from Canada; they do check your passport on the
way in.  I did not experiment with trying re-entry without it, and I
doubt if that's something most folks would do, unless they just didn't
have the passport.  (You can get into Canada on other forms of ID,
though.)  Walking out is always an option; I didn't see any Border
Patrol at the Monument.

Rick Thalhammer
rickt at macnexus.org