[pct-l] Mosquitos

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Sun Oct 5 21:27:19 CDT 2008

I recall on a backpack trip to Alaska, one local telling me, "the only way
to get more mosquitos in Alaska is to make them smaller." Indeed, the lakes
were swarming with mosquitos and noseeums (sp?). We would cover ourselves
head to toe in heavy clothes, then "deet" the wrists, ankles, neck, and
seal everything up. Head nets of course. That would get us about a half to
one hour of fishing on the lake before the the flying satans drove us off
the water. Thankfully, 100 feet of the water the bugs were at sane levels.

They say that a whole herd of caribu--thousands--will instantly change
direction to head into a wind gust for a moment of peace from the skeets.