[pct-l] Mosquitos, not just for the city-dwelling softies

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 23:57:47 CDT 2008

Not to pick a fight with another experienced hiker who's playing it cool in his response, but

BE AFRAID.  BE VERY AFRAID.

The mosquitos in central Oregon this August were not slow.  3-1/2 mph walking did not keep them from biting.  No single layer of clothing could stop them.  DEET discouraged them, but did not stop them.  I'd recommend a combination of 2 loose-fitting very lightweight layers of clothing, along with DEET and a headnet.  Bring the full arsenal.

I'm from Michigan, and i've been living in Hawaii.  I've hiked June and July in the 'Dacks and the Presis.  I've hiked 3 straight June/Julys in the Wind River Range.  I'm not a mosquito wussy.  But Oregon's mosquitos this year were really THAT bad, not in quantity, but in efficiency.  They are a smaller, quicker variety.