[pct-l] Mosquitos / Health Insurance / Adult flat foot

Andy safetypci at aim.com
Fri Oct 3 13:49:32 CDT 2008

 Yes, it is *highly recommended* that one wash off DEET asap when getting home at the end of the day. The thought of slathering DEET all over me daily on a long hike scares me. I used a Sunday Afternoons 50 SPF sun shirt and hat on the CDT last summer which worked extremely well--except for the bugs. Like on the AT back in the day, and the CDT last year, I only had two days of bad bugs. But it sounds like next summer could be different. Who has found decent clothing that's bug resistent? AND has a SPF rating?

>Not being a fan of DEET, I use a headnet and light, breatheable, clothing
that mosquitos can't penetrate. But you *need* something.

I also just recently read the post about health insurance needs on the trail. Last year after my company health plan disappared as I took five months off, I went to
http://www.anthem.com/?? (or United Healthcare, Rocky Mountain Health Plans, etc.) for my $60 a month catastrophic plan (go to any health website, and you can probably apply online). Good if you're badly injured talking on a cell phone while hiking, and fall off the trail because you are on a cell phone.

After developing adult flat foot disorder (PTTD) in my right foot on the CDT last summer, orthotics were the only choice, and my company plan didn't cover it. Of course if I developed diabetes from being fat and lazy the $495 orthotics would be covered. Being fit and healthy--nope.

-Skygod
PCT'09