[pct-l] Shelter on the Trail

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Thu Oct 2 09:46:48 CDT 2008

I actually only use the Hubba if there is a threat of rain, or special circumstance where I need privacy in the evening or morning.  I need to lengthen the backside fly tie-out.  That tie-out is key to the tent's stability, and probably the root cause of my issues.  Right now it isn't long enough to allow a stake to be pounded deep into the ground.  Need to do that before the trip in two weeks, in case I need to use the tent, though the weather forecast for the southern Sierra is expected to be fair and seasonably warm.  Yippie!

As far as ear plugs goes, I don't use them.  I enjoy hearing the wind rustle (or roar as in my last trip case) through the pine needles at night, and to hear birds singing in the morning announcing that it is time to wake up.  I usually don't bring an mp3 player, but I did for the first time this last trip.  Used it only occasionally at night, and never used it while hiking.  I have enough trouble keeping upright on the downhills.  Distracting music could be deadly in my case (just kidding).

Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk

---- Hiker97 <hiker97 at aol.com> wrote:

The Incredible Hulk wrote: The only problem with the Hubba (besides the 3+ lb weight) is that broadside to the wind, it acts as a sail.  The Hubba does not do well in high winds, as I witnessed first hand last month on the JMT near Donohue Pass.  In fact, it is only rated to 40 mph.  My son's Mountain Hardware tent is rated to 80 mph.  But, the Hubba headroom is wonderful.  Feels like you are in a cathedral when compared to my old Gerry tent and son's claustrophobic MH tent.
Switchback replies: You are correct about the 40 MPH wind limits on the Hubba.  I checked that out before I got one.  As far as weight is concerned, you can get the weight under 3 pounds just by going to carbon fiber poles.  No problem.  Pitching it near a tree, large rock, or bushes provides some wind protection in rainy and windy weather.

If it is not raining, wind is not a factor.  The all netting free-standing tent is just fine in very heavy winds.  In fact, I would guess that I do not use the rainfly 95% of the time, so I enjoy a good robust wind.  Inside the tent it is calm and outside it can be blowing big time.  Very nice.  Lots of fun to lay there and watch the trees bend all over the place.  A nice show.

I also carry some very light weight ear plugs for windy weather.  It can be very noisy in robust weather.  Sometimes I just have my radio ear plugs in my ears while I listen to some station.  Usually an FM station if there is lightning weather.  Works just fine.  I usually am reading a book while doing all this too.  I like lots of entertainment in camp.  If I am not out chasing bears, then I am in my tent goofing off and trying to figure out what mischief I can get into.