[pct-l] Camera & Bear Canister

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sun Nov 30 14:20:12 CST 2008

>I'm looking for a digital camera to use with my Solio Hybrid solar charger.
>Any suggestions?

You have 2 choices on a camera.  You can try to find a camera that charges
via USB (most don't; not that I could find one that I'd actually want) or
buy one that uses AA batteries.  If you go the AA battery route, you can buy
a AA/AAA USB Battery charger and connect that to your Solio; but of course,
this adds additional weight to your solar charger (just as each charger you
bring does).  Not all USB chargers are alike as some recharge faster then
others.  Avoid those AA batteries with the built in USB charger as they
don't hold a very big charge unless you don't mind recharging them often.

I'm an electrical engineer, so the idea of solar power on the trail
interests me.  However, when I have done a weight comparison of carrying
spare batteries that I think I might need verses the solar charger and the
various adaptors that I'd need, the ontrail solar recharge plan was much
heavier.  My own plan though involves having to bounce my chargers and pick
them up every week or two. Of course, this is specific to my electronics and
my experience in how often I use them in a given week on the trail.  So I've
ruled out Solar for the time being, though I keep looking at the option.

Just like how many people buy lighter gear specifically for their thru-hike,
I think buying electronics specific for a thru hike is the way to go and
thus battery life and weight are important factors (the ligher the weight,
the more spare batteries you can carry, the longer the battery life, the
less spares you need, if any).  As an example, rather then bringing an IPod
type music player that you already own with its sub 20hour battery life, for
backpacking, I bought a 16MB MP3 player (Cowon brand) that holds enought
charge for 40+hours of playback which for my typical backcountry use would
last almost 2 weeks before needing a recharge and thus recharging can wait
for the next town.

-Sean