[pct-l] Introductions and IPhone question

Postholer public at postholer.com
Thu Nov 27 00:40:53 CST 2008

I think the biggest issue will be the keyboard. Your pocketmail will have a
full 'qwerty' keyboard which makes it much easier. Typing directly from an
iPod will be tedious at best. You could possibly get a soft keyboard for it
though. Truant journaled last year using an iPod, it's certainly doable:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=233

For a complete discourse on gadgets, check out Gadgets Gadget Guide. It's a
very thorough document on the subject of smartphones for the trail:
http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

Gadget also kept his journal from his smartphone on the trail. It's one of
the best journals I've seen:
http://postholer.com/brianle

As a journalist over at postholer (good to see you there!) you'll have
access to the mobile version of postholer optimized for smartphone users:
http://postholer.com/mobi/index.php

-postholer

We're probably going to bring the pocket mail for both of us on this
hike, but we recently got a chance to play with a friend's iphone and
were thinking that it might make a great, more functional replacement
for the pocketmail.  Does anyone have any experience with using the
iphone out on the trail for journaling?  Also, does anyone know how
ATT's coverage is in the trail towns along the way and whether there
are any wifi spots in any of the towns?