[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 30

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Nov 26 15:36:40 CST 2008

Good afternoon,

You guys aren't being very progressive in your thinking -- actually
suggesting that hikers take personal responsibility for their decisions and
behavior.  I'm reminded of part of a conversation I overheard a couple of
years ago at REI:  A young couple said to the clerk, "We're going hiking in
the mountains.  Tell us everything we need to be sure we'll be safe."  I
didn't hang around to hear what the clerk suggested, but it was certain to
include a plastic whistle and a bear-bell, among a list of perhaps 300 other
items.

I often recall that conversation when I'm hiking past one of the many snow
peaks here in the Northwest.  As I look up and enjoy the view I remember
that I'm also staring up the barrel of a live volcano, cocked and loaded
with perhaps 50 billion tons of potential pyroclastic flow -- and there I am
without my plastic whistle or bear-bell.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye