[pct-l] kicks

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 25 17:59:43 CST 2008

Ok, I'll chime in about shoes. I tried Chacos from Fuller Ridge to
Cabazon. The arch was too high for me but I enjoy wearing them around
town otherwise. They worked fine in the snow. Having wet feet is not
an issue with sandals.

As far as brands go, I don't care too much about them. I take my sore
feet to the store and buy whatever does not hurt. I troll the sale
aisle at one of these giant sporting goods stores, if they have one,
and buy whatever is cheap. I got some nice NB for $40 that way.

On the trail I did not buy shoes in advance. I bought them along the
way. My feet did change and when I got home I had to donate three
grocery bags of shoes that no longer fit. Buying shoes along the way
was the only way it would have worked for me, but the experience was
hit-and-miss. I picked up a great pear of shoes in Cabazon at the
outlet mall. They lasted 600 miles. I wore them into the Sierras.
Later I bought some other shoes, La Sportiva, in Bishop. They hurt so
I bought another pair of shoes, Montrails, in Mammoth (after hiking
into Yosemite Valley). The Montrails fooled me. They felt good at
first but they had too much stiffness and eventually my feet
completely fell apart and I had to quit my hike. I learned my lesson
not to wear shoes with a lot of support. I will now buy my shoes with
the help of Roadrunner Sports whose catalog lists shoes according to
what kind of support they provide.

I never took my shoes off to cross creeks. I just plunged right in.
Sometimes I would go a whole day with wet feet. It didn't bother me.
It was summer, for crying out loud. My shoes were between 2 and 4
sizes bigger than what I normally wore as a cubicle slave. My feet
did not slip around. It was the only way to prevent my toes from
being squeezed and getting blisters.

I envied those who could wear sandals. I was always tripping over
sticks. You know how you step down and a stick flips up to stab your
other foot in the arch? That was me all the time.
~Piper