[pct-l] Switchback's suggested frontpack on sale

Scott thehairlesscat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:32:48 CST 2008

Anyone who has considered the following suggestion from Switchback, should
know that it's on sale at the rei-outlet.com for $39.93, regularly $80.

The Waist Pack
A lot of hikers use some type of waist pack along with a backpack. It is
simple a back turned around to the front where you can get to items easily.
Not a bad idea. Here is my latest system. Please note that this might not be
the lightest way to go in looking at the waist pack weight (23 ounces) vs.
space (800+ ci), but I love the convenience and the ability to keep my
backpack under 20 pounds. You decide it this system is good for you.
• MountainSmith Day pack (www.rei.com/product/749966).
• Take the shoulder strap pad off of it.
• Fill your waist pack with supplies and put on the waist pack in front and
then your packpack.
• [image: Arrow] [image: Arrow] Take the waist pack shoulder strap and slip
it behind the two backpack shoulder straps and reclip it to the waist pack.
• Use two liter Gatorade bottles for water bottles on the waist pack.
• Now you have a great system that is mostly held with the waist pack belt,
but has some holding power with the backpack shoulder straps too. This is
super neat. As you walk the waist pack stays firmly in position as you walk
and does not drop down. If it happens to drop a little, all you do is adjust
the waist pack should strap that you ran through behind the backpack
shoulder straps. Takes about 4 seconds to make the adjustment to pull on the
strap and reset it. A waist pack lowers your center of gravity too on the
trail, so you walk a little safer.
• It is amazing how much stuff I can carry in this waist pack. It makes my
backpack organization so much nicer. I have have water right at my finger
tips along with a bladder in the backpack (if you carry one). The best of
both worlds. I carry most of my supplies in the waist pack in ZipLock bags
labeled with a black marker. Over the black label I place a piece of clear
tape to keep it from rubbing off. Works great. Very easy to use on the trail
to keep things organized and clean for very little weight --- cheap to
replace too.
[image: Arrow] I got two books down at REI. "Pocket Guide to Emergency First
Aid" and " Pocket Guide to Outdoor Survival". Both have a nice font and
information for use. I think it is important to have some safety info with
you along with maps/permits, moon phases, etc.
[image: Arrow] [image: Arrow] The trouble is that together they weigh 139g
or 4.9 ounces. I figure I can copy them and put them in one plastic page
protector for about 21g or .7 ounces. One would be on one side and the other
on the other side.
[image: Arrow] [image: Arrow] I have a very nice way to carry these in my
waist pack. I can just pull them out instantly just like I do my maps and
put them back the same way.

--
-Scott
-Trailcat if this message is hiker related.

Disclaimer: Trailcat should be taken to imply no actual cat-like ability
including but not limited to the ability to land upright or show any kind of
grace in motion whatsoever.  Scott should be taken to be my name and no
ability to play the bagpipes should be inferred.