[pct-l] GPS

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sun Nov 23 14:15:49 CST 2008

You will get a lot of people telling you not to bother.   And it is true,
you may not need it at all.  I like having mine when I am alone and want "a
second opinion."   Or I just like to use it to set goals and see my progress
(like elevation readings on a climb).

So, my two cents.  Get the smallest GPS you can find that gives you Long and
Lat in multiple formats.  Many maps are switching to UTM grid markings, but
many still have Hours:Minutes:Seconds or some variation.   So, it is
important that the GPS can be changed to match the map you are using.

All the other features are nice, fun, and perhaps just distracting.  If I
ever second guess my position, all I need is a coordinate from the GPS and a
map to reference.

I use the Garmin Foretrex 101.   If I remember right, it is slightly bigger
than the 201 because the 101 uses two AAA batteries and the 201 is
rechargeable. The 101 weighs 3.3 ounces WITH batteries.   I prefer the
ability to change out store bought batteries over carrying charging cords
and finding power in towns.

Don't confuse it with the ForeRunner 101 that has extra stuff for athletic
training not required.

And the price point is right at about $130