[pct-l] Hiker Privacy and Safety

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 14:15:42 CST 2008

After reading the various posts on the subject, it seems like the crux of the matter comes down to control of information.

Public journalists freely choose to share their stories.  Some share more than others.  Some post up to date (within a day or two), others put a week or two hold on their posts.

Other folks would rather not share their stories in public, where they are, etc.

All of the above is (IMHO) fine since each individual gets what they want and no one steps on the toes of others in doing so.

Where it can (obviously) get uncomfortable is when those who prefer a higher level of privacy are pushed / forced into the public eye by third parties without consent.

I suggest that everyone exercise extreme discretion in posting personally identifiable information about their fellow hikers, especially without explicit permission to do so.  I suggest that this includes omitting names of specific thru hikers spotted while out on section hikes, weekend hikes, angel-ing, etc.  On the trip report I posted back in September, I made it a point to not mention names, even of those who were posting journals at TJ or PH.  Another suggestion is to edit stories in such a manner as to make it all but impossible for any individuals to be specifically identified.  With some tact and discretion, the trail, and the associated list serves and forums can continue to be a relatively happy place.