[pct-l] Thru-hiking in 3 months?

kcristler kerouc at verizon.net
Thu Nov 20 20:08:46 CST 2008

 competition is not always bad. Often it is good. In anything. But to have
meaningful competition it is absolutely necessary to have a governing body
that produces a fixed set of rules and enforces them. In my mind, the PCT is
not a great place for a racetrack. BUT, I think distinctive achievements
have a place. Putting a rules committee into existence, and drawing up
categories and rules for records is a massive project. We could let Flyin
Brian, or Skuka loose next spring and the record would be set. OR, we could
have many different categories of competitors and many different rules of
the hike.(unsupported, mildlysupported, supported, with a dog, alone, woman,
man, teenager, etc. ad nauseum.
"I did it in 70 days" is only one tiny facet of the record book.
                Kerry