[pct-l] Thru-hiking in 3 months?

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:19:53 CST 2008

Hi Magda,

Concerned about falling behind in graduation units by missing spring term?
Perhaps you have thought about finding a prof willing to do, say, 6 units of
independent study in the spring about some issue related to the PCT or long
distance hiking.  And ask if they would give you an incomplete at the end of
spring term with the plan to complete the units when you're back on campus.
Anther prof (or the same prof) might allow you to do summer school units the
same way. The bottom line:  it is possible for you to complete Spring term
units and still leave Campo in April.  It could create a different set of
financial problems, but if those financial problems are manageable, it is
something to think about.

Myself and a selection of my colleagues are more than willing to work with
students doing something special.  Seat time in a class room is not always
learning time.  And my university is more than willing to let us faculty
types do it as long as we supervise it and make sure that it is academically
grounded. I could easily conceptually a number of projects to generate units
for a student interested in a PCT thru.  And, wow, you should see a worried
student light up when I suggest a path that allows her to reach for her
dreams -- and complete some very innovative units as well.

Best wishes for making your dream of a PCT thru a reality!

be hope

Prof Hope, Cal St U, Chico