[pct-l] Thru-hiking in 3 months?

matthew romero mrzolezzi at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:06:29 CST 2008

Hey Magda,

    I hiked in 08 and was in the same situation.  I also had 3 months, but what I did was work my ass off in school, finished all my work early and left a month before the end of the semester.  I then buttered up my profs, and included them in my updates so I was able to also start a month late when I got back.  it worked out perfectly.  Something to consider

boomer> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:40:04 -0800> From: nano.michael at gmail.com> To: himagda at gmail.com> CC: pct-l at backcountry.net> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Thru-hiking in 3 months?> > Hey Magda,> > Nano here. I'm in the same situation you're in...kind of. I am graduating> and my last final is May 14th/15th and if I get into graduate school that> would mean a 3.5 month hike. I think it's doable if you think you can handle> it and are truly prepared for the things you mentioned. It's one of those> things you'll only find out when you hit the trail just because each trail> is unique to every single person. It's a completely different lifestyle and> if you think you can go for weeks hiking high mileage, feeling ok, mentally> prepared for anything, and actually somewhat *enjoying* the hike then give> it a shot. Remember that there is always a time for a thru-hike if you> prioritize it in your life. Hope this helps.> > Nano> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Magda <himagda at gmail.com> wrote:> > > Hi, I'm a long-time list-lurker but first-time poster, and a class of> > 2009 hopeful.> >> > I'm also trying to figure out how to plan a thru-hike around my summer> > break from college. The school I go to is on a quarter schedule and> > doesn't get out until mid-June. I had originally been thinking that I> > might just not take any classes during spring term at all, which would> > give me more time to plan and to work up the cash, and also more> > flexibility as to when I can start my hike (so that I could start and> > hike with everyone else). But lately I've been thinking about trying to> > go for it without skipping any school, which means that I wouldn't have> > much more than three months to complete the trail, so I'd definitely> > have to power through it. I realize that it's going to mean a lot of> > training before I get out there, much, much longer days, no zeros, and> > mostly hiking solo, but it's either that or just taking it easy and> > hiking the Oregon section this year, and I really don't want to compromise.> >> > It doesn't seem like very many thru-hikers finish in under four months> > (except the honorable record-holders, of course), but I'm wondering if> > there are any other hopefuls out there trying to work around a similar> > schedule or looking to thru-hike at a faster pace, or if there's anybody> > who's already done a 3-month thru-hike who has any good advice to share.> >> > Also, if I want to start as late as mid-June, is a northbound hike still> > feasible? I know that it's been done before, but I'm mostly concerned> > about the heat and water availability in the desert sections in the> > middle of summer... If it's going to be drastically less bearable than a> > southbound hike, it may not be worth it.> >> > Thanks in advance,> > Magda> > _______________________________________________> > Pct-l mailing list> > Pct-l at backcountry.net> > http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l> >> _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l