[pct-l] crampons

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Nov 9 16:58:08 CST 2008

Good afternoon, Razor Blade,

Crampons, or the like, and ice axes are different creatures.  Supposedly, if
you don't slip you won't need an axe for arrest.  I don't use standard full
platform crampons.  They are heavy, they can be a hazard if they happen to
engage the snowpack surface while you are in a slide, and they aren't really
necessary.  Full platform crampons are great when you are going up a steep
hill, but on relatively flat trails, like the PCT, all you need is something
to improve traction a bit.  I use instep crampons, which are great for 99%
of typical PCT snowpack.  Mine are CMI at:
http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/essentials/crampons.asp  I don't know where
they get that 11.6 oz. weight - mine weigh 8.9 oz. per pair with the straps.
I have two pair, one with the poly straps and one with the neoprene straps
and I can't tell much difference.  They work fine on regular low-top
sneakers.

Another inexpensive, and very effective, option is to put screws in the
soles of your sneakers.  http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm   I use a
driver like the one in the photo, except instead of putting it in a drill I
made a little wooden handle for it, and I carry it with a sack of extra
screws.

As it turned out, I hiked through the Sierras in a very low snow the year so
I didn't carry any of that stuff, not even the axe.  Once or twice it would
have been nice to have on the north side of some of the big passes, but it
wouldn't have been worth the weight.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4645