[pct-l] Trail Improvements

Campy campydog at verizon.net
Sat Nov 8 13:03:33 CST 2008

> Doesn't the California Conservation Corps do work on the trail?  IN
> the
> mid-90s I remember hiking up from the meadows to Evolution Basin and
> running into a party of ten guys or so breaking rocks and making one
> of
> those "Inca Highways" that makes walking with running shoes less than
> easy or comfortable.  Do they still work up there?
>
> Jeff Olson
> Martin, SD

The CCC definitely has been working on the PCT. A group out of the
Shasta and I believe one from the Trinity River district, spent a
summer 3 or 4 years ago working trail south of McCloud Lake in
notorious Section "O". The PCTA requested volunteer trail crew cooks
to get scheduled for a week at a time living and cooking meals for the
CCC crews. Young men, young women, with two adult leaders. I was able
to observe their lifestyle, which included mealtimes, morning warm-ups
and stretching, a full work day in brown uniform work clothes and good
work boots, an afternoon of camp chores and also ball-hitting with a
bat and a heavily duct-taped rock for a ball, an evening hour of high
school level coached schoolwork - with assigned homework! The campfire
relaxation period, and then to bed in 2-3 person tents.  Extremely
well led, and one adult seemed to have had a teaching background.
During the week a teacher lady arrived and met with the people who
were working on their GEDs to give further coaching and assignments. I
was so impressed. And I hope this program continues unreduced within
the state's current financial difficulties. If another call for a cook
and a kitchen comes, I'll definitely do it.

==^=== Campy
  http://www.trailprojects.com click on PCT
Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!
===^==