[pct-l] Cali backpacking in December-Need suggestions

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Sat Nov 8 00:00:18 CST 2008

Jacob--

I have a place that meets your criteria: The California Lost Coast:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/lost_co1.htm
http://www.sojourner2000.com/hiking/

The adventure starts with the logistics. Drive to the little know State
park of Sinkyone, north of Fort Bragg along the coast. We used a shuttle
service to get us to the mouth of the Mattole River. It was an expensive
shuttle, but when you get there you will see why. Dirt roads, a bit of
Highway 1, 101, and then miles and miles of windy road. It took 3.5 hours
to shuttle to the trail head.

The first 24 miles there is really no trail at all--just hike along the
beach. Take a tide chart, as there are "pinch points" which cannot be
safely hiked at high tide. About 6 miles from the start you can walk
through an old abandoned lighthouse.

Generally there are rivers/streams that reach the ocean every few miles,
which serve as the best campsite areas. In many places people have built
elaborate driftwood shelters. Hiking is sometimes on the sand, sometimes
the bluffs, and sometimes over extended flats. But always rugged and
beautiful.

This first section ends at the black sand beach of Shelter cove. One can
hike up the hill at Shelter-about a 5 mile road walk, to rejoin the trail.
This next section is through thick forest. Up 500' to the top of a bluff,
then back down to sea level to cross a creek and back up again. Sometimes
tough hiking, but always beautiful.

Plan to spend some time camping near Jones Beach. Rosevelt Elk frequent the
area. About 20-30 grazed through our camp in the evening.

I think the whole trip is about 50 miles. A week is about right,
anticipating the time to get to Sinkyone and ultimately the trail head.
Plan a night or two at Sinkyone. There are primative campsites on the
beach; campsites in a glen; campsites in a redwood forest. Its quite the
place, but there are no facilities.

You could resupply in Shelter Cove, although we just humped all our stuff.
It is a bear cannister area--and for damn good reason. But that is another
story! My only hesitation in making this recommendation is that December
could expose you to storms. I would not want to be along this section of
coast in a storm due to the high exposure to big surf. Rough waves are a
threat even in calm weather and in many places its a short beach with
soaring bluffs and no where to retreat from high surf. Plus the swollen
creeks will be difficult to cross and going upsteam is usually not
possible. Check weather reports and have a plan "B" if bad weather is
predicted.

Check out those links and google Lost Coast for more info.