[pct-l] Sun Hat

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Nov 3 18:18:11 CST 2008

Good afternoon, Susan,

I won't give you a make and model, but I did find something wrong with the
typical floppy hat shown in this photo:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=258181

Most of the time it worked fine, but in the southern sections the wind can
be significant.  My hat has the required chin cord, but the front of the
brim was far too floppy.  Very often the wind would either bend it straight
up so it would no longer block the sun, or press it down over my eyes so I
couldn't see.  The former was aggravating; the later was untenable.

For the windy areas a cap with a stiff bill and a "Foreign Legion" skirt
would be great, but when I again hike in the wind I'll probably just wear a
common ball cap with my bandanna underneath to cover my neck and ears.  I
did that a lot even with my floppy hat.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4645