[pct-l] 2008 PCT DVD Photos

Jeannie Zortman jeanmzortman at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 09:53:05 CST 2008

Greetings to all my friends and fellow PCT hikers!

The great tradition, begun by Weathercarrot, has been passed on to Tom
Aterno and me, Jellybean.  Yes, we are  creating the 2008 PCT DVD,
This is a major project, that will involve many hundreds of hours of
work, but it is a labor of love that we are privileged to undertake.
However, this project ultimately depends on you, the Class of 2008,
for without your photos and videos, we would not have a Class DVD.  It
is a group effort, and as such, I want to thank everyone, in advance,
who participates and submits their photos and video.

So, this call for submission letter is intended to reach all 2008 PCT
thru and section hikers.  Most of the contacts will be by email.  If
anyone knows of a hiker who does not have email, we ask that you pass
this message on to those hikers.  We do not want to leave anyone out
of the DVD, if at all possible, so please help us find all 2008 hikers.

What are we looking for?  Photos and video of unusual shots, the
favorite self portraits, and action photos like camping, cooking,
swimming, sliding, crossing snow and ice and raging rivers. All kinds
of flowers and animals, bugs, snakes, trees, blowdowns, fire crews,
trail crews, trail angels, crazy haircuts, outfits, horse packers,
llamas, goats, and of course great landscapes, weather and sunsets
too! Mile markers, signs, detours, fires, and on and on.

Music, too.  We would like folks to offer music suggestions.  We won't
ask for specific genres.  Send us what you think would work, and we
will see if it fits in with the theme.

Photo Requirements:
1.  We need lots of photos.  The more photos that are sent, while they
will take time to sort and select, the better the final product.
Don't be bashful.  If you have 1,000+ good, usable photos, send them
to us.  We need several thousand photos to ensure we are kept busy
during the winter.
2.  Please send your photos burned to a cd or dvd, in the highest
resolution possible.  Please do not compress the files.
3.  Please do not send photos that will not be usable when viewed on a
TV screen.  Fuzzy and low resolution photos will not work.  Still
photos will be panned and zoomed, and as a result, the full size photo
is required for this to occur without degrading video quality.
4.  Send your photos in any format you wish, though jpg is preferred.
We will find a viewer to utilize all formats.
5.  Your photo labeling is a key issue for this project.  The goal is
to present the trail from the Mexican border to Canada without
doubling back as a result of an out of order photo.  As such, we must
have photos labeled or organized in a way that we can identify and
preserve the northward progression of the DVD.  We will give you two
labeling choices.  The first would be to label each photo by: trail
mileage from Mexico, hiker names (if hikers are in the photo, and any
info you want to add.  A photo of me at the Billy Goat cave would be
labeled  mile_88_jellybean_billy_goat_cave . This does take much more
effort than the second method.  Place your photos in a folder labeled
for the section the photos were shot. Do this if you just want to send
a few really great shots. If you haven't got time to sort and label,
the easiest way for you would be just to send all your photos in
sequential order. For section hikers, a subfolder for each section
would be helpful.  All Section G photos would reside in the Section G
folder.  Your camera's labeling method should keep the sequential
order intact for proper sequencing.  Date and time stamping of each
file is also important for ordering the flow.

Video Requirements:
1.  Send your video captured with your still camera as is, burned to a
cd or dvd.  These are small files, and we can handle the editing
process.
2.  For video taken with a video recorder, please edit to small
segments and burn to a DVD.
3.  We are looking for beautiful, or interesting video such as hiking
on precarious trail locations (ridges, snow, stream crossings), funny
videos, wild weather. Think back on the past year's DVDs and those are
the types of videos I am looking for.
4.  Send video as full resolution, full screen.

The photo and video collection process has started, since Tom sent
messages out to the community in September.  We thank all of those who
have submitted to date. There is some awesome photographers out there!
We ask that all of those contemplating submission, send their photos
by the end of 2008.  Please send your cds, dvds and music selections to:

Tom Aterno
2719 High Cliff Drive
Torrance, CA 90505

Tom will archive your work, and forward all files to me for editing.
Please include your mailing address so we can mail the completed DVD
to you.  All DVDs are free to anyone who requests one.   The goal is
to complete the DVD before the 2009 ADZPCTKO.

Sincerely,
The Lime Green Jellybean

Jeannie Zortman
PO Box 71955