[pct-l] Poopy Rocks?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 11:29:15 CDT 2008

I've used those OP Sacks for 5 years in the Sierras and Cascades and they do work. I've had bears walk right past them - in the dark - without noticing them. However, as the rangers at both Yosemite and Thousand Island Lake reminded me when they saw them, "they are not legal alternatives to bear canisters". Like Donna, I use them for things that smell but won't fit in the bear can. I carry a large one for trash and a small one for the current day's lunch and snack during the day and for toothpaste and the like at night. Before I go to bed, I put them 50 yards away, just in case.

One thing about OP sacks - they are fragile and can be punctured or cut easily. I round the corners of my dehydrated meal foil packs before discarding them.

Playtex Products makes their WET ONES in a fragrance- and alcohol-free Travel Pack (pale green package color) that holds 15 wipes; perfect for a week-long trip. That gives me one a day for after-toilet use and a second for in-camp face or body clean-up before bed. I got mine at the grocery store. The regular Wet Ones (royal blue package) have a fragrance that I don't appreciate in bear country.

WB