[pct-l] Shoes or boots.

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 01:07:34 CDT 2008

> I am going to be attempting a thru hike and am wondering what kind of shoes
> or boots I should get?

You could also consider sandals.  Some folks thru-hike in sandals.

My question to you is - How much hiking have you done to date?  If
there's a shoe that worked for you in your prior hiking experiences,
it might not be a bad idea to go with that one.

Generally speaking, trail runners are favored.  Ankle-high boots have
their advocates.  Weight is a consideration, an extra pound on your
feet is said to be like an extra five pounds on your back, something
like that.

Likely you will get a number of specific suggestions from others. If
you elect to try any of them, road test the selection as much as you
can before the hike.

Some are adamant that whatever you wear, buy it two sizes bigger than
your current requirement, as your feet will swell.  Maybe, maybe not.
My feet didn't change one iota.

Bring lots of blister bandages for the start of your hike.  If you
don't use them, you'll be able to sell them for a small fortune to
others.