[pct-l] Keeping our experiences in perspective

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Fri May 30 13:05:53 CDT 2008

The PCT is in the west, and hardships experienced on the trail are nothing
compared to those experienced by people who hiked west in the middle of the
19th century.  I'm reading a collection of diary entries from members of the
Willie and Martin companies who walked from Council Bluffs Iowa to Salt Lake
City in the fall of 1856.  See

http://www.amazon.com/Journal-Stewart-Robert-editors-Glazier/dp/0966075501/r
ef=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212167932&sr=1-1

They were men, woman, and children -- immigrants (mostly from England), no
doubt in poor health compared to us today.  They had no useful medicines as
we think of them today.  Babies were born along the way (don't think this
has yet happened on the PCT).  They didn't go light, but pulled all their
belongings and food in handcarts.  As they weakened, the stronger pulled the
weaker in these carts.  They were totally unprepared for the early winter of
1856.  It was very cold, and the stores were empty (i.e., edible animals
migrated out of reach).  Few would have survived without the trail angels
sent from Salt Lake City to  help.  As it was, 212 of the 980 who started
died from starvation, exposure, and disease.  The others finished the long
hike.  "Leaving the trail" was not an option.

This isn't really relevant to the PCT, but I couldn't pass up the
opportunity to remind you about some really challenging hiking trips taken
in the past.

Tom Bache
San Diego