[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

Will M jalan04 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:07:55 CDT 2008

Over the years, I've constantly debated with myself, the merits of
ultralight backpacking.  I think its a great philosophy and a good starting
point, but I have never been able to completely embrace the philosophy for
just the reasons we are discussing today.

I remember vividly an ultralight hiker bragging about how small and light
her pack was, in a shelter on the Appalachian trail.  Everyone ooohd and
awed'd over her awesome pack and gear but what they didn't see was 5 minutes
later, she asked to borrow a dry shirt form one of the other hikers because
all her gear ( what little she had) was wet.  The other hiker was in a bind.
She didnt want her friend to suffer but she said that she only had one dry
shirt left for sleeping in.

I think there is far too much emphasis on hiking light.  I see it on the
PCT-L and trail forums and Whiteblaze.  You name it, folks are always
trotting out their pack weights as if somehow, their light weight gear makes
them the better, more self-sufficient hiker.

As for experience:  Yes, experience does count but experience can also lull
you into a false sense of confidence and get you into trouble.  A lot of
hikers on the AT, for instance, get used to having shelters and water every
so many miles and might come out on the PCT think they don't need a tent. A
PCT hiker, might think they can easily crank out a 25 miler on the AT not
knowing abut the merciliess PUDS.
Experience is a great teacher but only if it comes with the wisdom to know
your limits and the limits of your gear and how nature may disregard both
and decide to dump a ton of snow or cold rain on you.

What has experience taught me?  I hate being cold and wet and I hate not
having water.  I plan for the worst which makes my pack a little heavier.
I've also learned to hike with a little humility because it only takes a few
small mistakes that ANYONE can make to land in a potentially serious
situation.  I guess that's why they call it an adventure.