[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu May 29 10:20:17 CDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 1:13 AM, mark v wrote:
> When there is the
> opportunity to travel lighter, and when you know you
> have bailout points (roads, ranger station bathrooms,
> etc.) if conditions turn bad, it can make a lot of
> sense to pack light.  This is NOT what they'll do in
> the Sierra or North Cascades.

And if you are injured and can't move?

 From <http://www.wms.org/pubs/desert.html>:
> Priorities in a survival situation are based on the "rule of 3s,"
> you can live 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 hours without warmth,
> 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.

If you are familiar with local weather patterns,
have an up to date weather report, and are venturing
out for 24-48 hours, then I think there is much
larger margin of error for cutting down on gear.
IMHO, a thru-hiker is rarely able to meet those
preconditions.

A space emergency blanket and something like an O2 Rainwear
jacket and pants weighs 13 - 14 oz.  Cutting down
on weight doesn't sound like a reasonable justification
for entering the back-country without at least 'emergency'
clothing and shelter.

It has been mentioned that ill-prepared hikers may
create situations that endanger SAR personnel. What
about other hikers?

What would you do if you came upon an injured, ill-prepared
hiker and you had to decide who got your shelter/clothes?  Do
you stay with the hiker and share resources?  Do you leave
your gear with the hiker or keep it while you go for help?
What if you get injured as you go for help?

Risks can never be eliminated and there is no
such thing as 100% safe but that doesn't mean
that simple and painless precautions shouldn't
be taken that improve your chances when
Murphy's Law strikes.

Radar