[pct-l] Snow in May and Preparation/weather from the trail/Entitlement

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Thu May 29 01:30:38 CDT 2008

Wandering Bob has, I think, nailed it down.  In the case of this Trail
Angel, we're still here, and willing to do what we can.  But we get older,
the body doesn't want to live up to the brain's expectations, we can't do as
much, so don't count on us being here forever.  Be prepared to take care of
yourselves regardless of the conditions you may find yourself in.  Dennie
one year, brought home two hikers who told him they had slept in a culvert
to get out of a downpour that descended the day after sending their tents on
further north.  They took a chance regarding future weather, they lost, but
creativity won in the end....they got wet, but didn't drown, there was no
hypothermia, they were out of the wind there inside their culvert.
Imagination and creativity are both a big part of completing a long hike,
IMHO, but it's the studying, the planning, the training and the
conditioning, and knowing your gear, what it will withstand, what you, the
hiker can withstand that gives the hiker the ability to stay calm enough to
allow the imagination and creativity flow.
If a hiker isn't prepared enough to be able to think outside the box, he
could well be doomed to fail.
I hope this makes sense...it's late, and I'm a bit fuzzy-headed.
Good-night...
FireFly