[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim Swim

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Wed May 28 20:09:44 CDT 2008

I hiked the 47 miles from Burney Falls to Old Station in four days during
the MemDay holiday. My dog Kelly and I were able to take advantage of a cold
weather front that brought rain, but a welcome relief from the notorious
heat that most hikers experience on the Rim. About 15 miles of the Rim
burned in 1987, which removed all the shade, and there's no water for a 30
mile stretch. I drove across the Rim on Thursday and laid out 6 gallons of
water at road crossings, and stayed that night at Old Station. Then a true
trail angel shepherded us to the Burney Falls trailhead on Friday, and Kelly
and I hiked back. We ran into only five section hikers, and many others
retreated due to the rain, but I was prepared for the weather, and we had
only minor discomfort. Good Patagonia rain gear, warm clothes, a great
Squall tarptent, ULA Circuit pack with packcover, all our prime gear in
plastic bags, Kelly's Ruffwear rain coat, and our will to hike in the rain
to finish the Rim helped us succeed. I wished I had taken my Golite Dome
umbrella, tho. The flowers were at their prime this weekend, the smells from
the sagebrush, desert plants, and juniper were rich, and the wet texture of
the scenic canvas we hiked across was rare indeed.  I missed many photo
opportunities in the rain since my camera was tucked safe and dry in my pack
that I'll remember, but here's a few photos from our swim across the rim
last weekend.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/hat_creek_rim