[pct-l] backpacking boots

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Tue May 27 22:22:00 CDT 2008

Sandy,
I assume you are definitely not going to consider shoes, which would be
lighter and cooler.  With boots I would consider two things to help keep
your feet cooler and less sweaty:

Use the least amount of sock that you can get away with.  Liner socks alone
always worked best for me.  I like the Wigwam ultimax cool-lite socks.  You
can always carry additional pairs of socks if you need to fill up the boot,
or add Spenco pads or some type of footbed.

The Lowa Jannu Mid you are considering is a heavy boot.  It weighs 2 lbs, 6
oz according to the REI web site.  I figure that heavy boots have more
material that is just going to trap more heat.  The boots that look better
to me are the Keen Voyager Mid, which weighs just 27.5 ounces and look like
they will breath well.  They are only $99, and Keen is a great company with
a good charitable foundation.  The reviews on the REI site look very
positive.

When I thru hiked in 1996 I had to buy a pair of boots in Ridgecrest before
going into the Sierras.  I had to settle for a $45 pair of Hi-Tec boots, and
they turned out to be very comfortable.  Sometimes less is more!

Roger Carpenter