[pct-l] rain gear

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Tue May 27 13:44:36 CDT 2008

Taildragger wrote:

I'm just thinking that if I bring a full blown rain jacket, I'll
probably drench myself just as much with sweat.

I agree about rain jackets - I tend to overheat and sweat in them unless it's *really* cold.  I haven't tried the newest generation of W/B fabrics, though.

I made my own poncho and arranged the cut of the fabric and the location of the fasteners so that it fits well and gives me both good protection and good ventilation.  I can lash it down in nasty weather or arrange it in various degrees of openness for more mild rain.  I don't have a hood on my poncho; I use a rain hat instead for better ventilation and visibility.  My lightweight rain pants protect my legs where the poncho doesn't help so much.  I do tend to get somewhat damp with that gear over time, but never really wet, and when I stop I pull on an extra insulating layer and dry out pretty quickly.

Remember the goal is not really to be dry or totally comfortable; the goal is to stay warm.  If you're wet but warm, well, that's fine.  It's easier to stay warm if you're dry, of course, but as you choose your gear, remember that the goal is to stay warm.  Keep asking yourself, "If this or that happens, how will I stay warm?"

In my case, I accept that I'm going to get damp when hiking in rain or snow no matter what, but I know that I have extra insulating layers (my vest, wind shirt, and down jacket) that I can turn to when I stop, and I'm not going to be so wet as to get my insulation wet.  I carry both the poncho and a separate sleeping tarp, so between them I have plenty of protection when I stop.

There are lots of valid approaches to wet-weather gear.  Don't let anyone tell you that you have to carry exactly the same gear they carry.  The key is to have *experience* with your gear in nasty conditions so that you know how to use it, you know the mistakes to avoid, and you know the warning signs that tell you you're about to be in trouble.

Eric