[pct-l] Donner Party Reloaded

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Fri May 23 20:11:56 CDT 2008

Chipmunk writes: I don't think it would be "a lot" of hungry hikers, just the one or two left that were the toughest, meanest, and fastest...  ;)
Switchback replies: I was thinking.  Next weekends trip to Walker Pass should be called the Walker Pass Relief Expedition.  Hikers will have been holding out for a week without food or water waiting for the Food Ruck.  By the time we get there, very few will be left.  But strangely a few individuals will be walking around as if in a daze.  These individuals will look unusually plump and fit.  We will ask them where are all the other hikers.  They will avoid eye contact and say that they went on ahead up the trail.  Of course, we will not realize that those hikers will never report in at Kennedy Meadows.  They or what's left of them have gone to the great trail in the sky that has no end.

Yes, this has all the trappings of a trail lore tragedy.  Walker Pass will probably be renamed "Food Ruck Not Pass".  The Food Ruck organizers will be shunned everywhere.  Hikers will talk behind their backs.  They will be ostracized at every turn.  No campfire will offer them warmth.  No dinner desserts or gear will be shared.  No Trail Angel door will be open.  Yes, they will wonder aimlessly and alone down the trail --- blamed for one of the great trail disasters of all time.