[pct-l] pct-l help aka snow report from Belden to Ashland

mattjolley at comcast.net mattjolley at comcast.net
Wed May 21 09:40:39 CDT 2008

we plan on hiking the pct from Belden to Ashland
Oregon. Starting May 29th ending June 30th. Every
official source other than the PCTA web site is
telling me the trail is closed (because of snow) =
illegal to hike.
what should I make of this?
Greg Jacobs responded …
>>northern california should be in pretty good shape by the end of the month
>>the snow thats left is melting quickly with this latest heat wave
I wonder how much snow will be there May 29 above 6500 feet.
Seems the PCT climbs to over 7600 feet just north of Belden.
Some North facing slopes near Humboldt Peak.
The postholer.com PCT snow report has web pointers to these weather stations, click on elevations.
South to North, the postholer.com locations and elevations are
Bucks Lake 5750 about 5 miles south of Belden. ( PCT is about 6800 ft)
As Greg responded, over a foot of snow melted in 4 days. 3 inches left May 20.
Lower Lassen Peak 8250, melting slower, 8 or 9 inches in 4 days, and 65 inches to go on May 20
Mumbo Basin 5650 melted out about May 7, low snow level
Middle Lower Lake 6200, 20 inches on May 1 , 0 on May 19.
Red Mountain 6050 35 inch water content on May 1, 18 inches on May 19
76 snow depth on May 1 to 27 inch snow depth on May 19.
Depending on the year some sites at 7000 ft in the Oregon cascades will take until July 15 to melt completely.
Matt