[pct-l] trip, water report F, G

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:30:51 CDT 2008

We just got home after finishing our Agua Dulce to Kennedy Meadows trip,
with a 10 day layoff due to injury at 622.2 - got off on 5/3, back on on
5/13. Huge difference in temperatures. 1st segment very windy, nights below
freezing. 2nd segment light winds, moderate temperatures.

Water Report
We had private caches where we could, but last one was at Bird Spring Pass,
and rodents chewed into our two gallons, so had to get a liter from Mary's
cache.

5/14 637.4 Yellow Jacket Spring. We camped at trail junction and I hiked
down to the spring. A long .7 miles down to the spring, which is a swampy
meadow. Water visibly flowing at lower end of meadow. Had to dig hole, wait
for mud to clear, and scoop a cup at a time into our ULA gravity filter. Got
two gallons in about 30 minutes. Saw fresh bear tracks in dust on way down
to spring.

5/15 651.4 Walker Pass Campground, water in the square cattail filled
concrete box, but small flow in and out - 1 cup per min? Box was full, but
covered with floating green stuff. I cleared one corner, and again used the
gravity filter. Took about an hour to get 10 liters, due to having to clean
my filter several times. My filter element is same as Katadyn Hiker Pro.

5/16 664.1 Joshua Tree Spring - good water. flow from pipe about a gallon
per minute, not going into trough. Camped there. No bear problems or signs
of bears. Not feeling any effects from the excess uranium in the water.

5/17 668.6 Branch of Spanish Needle Creek - flowing several gpm.

5/17 669.0 Spring fed branch of Spanish Needle Creek - several gpm - the
most flow of all the Spanish Needle creek sources

5/17 669.7 Spring fed streamlet flowing, but less than 1st two.

5/17 670.3 Spanish Needle Creek 3rd encounter - just a trickle

5/18  678.8  seasonal creek -  flowing - pool  5 feet across above  road
full of  polliwogs, also in  stream  across road, polliwogs were swimming.
Trail is a road at this point.

5/18  681.3  Chimney Creek at Canebreak Road. Lots of water at trail
crossing

5/18 683.6 Fox Mill Spring - no water from pipe or in trough, but flowing
several gpm in stream just beyond trough.

5/19 694.0 Manter Creek - lots of water

5/19 697.4 seasonal creek - dry

--
Ralph Alcorn