[pct-l] Injury! Victory! Advise on NOBO/SOBO flipping options

David Huck david.huck at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:07:38 CDT 2008

The Story thus far: So I started hiking from Campo a little more than
a week ago when lo and behold upon reaching Lk. Morena my poor left
foot began to give out. Debilitating pain in the outer arch, exclusive
of the heel and ball. It could be an inflammation of the peroneal
tendon (not to be confused with perineum or perennial), but that is
only of secondary importance. I've come home and am rehabilitating and
fixing the issues with footwear, hip and upper leg stability and
achilles, calf and hamstring tightness that all affected my gait. I
should be able to get back on the trail by the 6th or 13th of June at
the latest. Though not mission critical, I'd like to be in Sacramento
on Sept 20-22 for a conference, which would affect option #2 below.

What I'd like advice on: How to keep going.
1) Start in Canada and go south
2) Pick up where I would have been had everything been ok (near
Kennedy Meadows) and then come back in September (post conference) to
go south and finish it.

I don't like the 1st option so much because it means reorganizing
everything. Probably other reasons too.
I like the second option except for my concern about perhaps needing
to rest until mid - June and then needing to start further north in
the sierra to make it back to Sacramento by 20 Sept and then
encountering early snows in the sierra.

Other options or considerations?

Thanks,

David

And the first couple days have inspired me to think about how to drop
my already light pack below the 10 pound mark. Not sure if it can be
done without spending more money, but we'll see. Essentially.