[pct-l] USFS PCT map series...

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon May 19 10:00:40 CDT 2008

postholer wrote:
> ...and if you just can't wait, here's the map in an interactive, zoomable
> version with satellite, topo, terrain views that use the same data as the
> USFS map, except with detail a static printed map could never hope for:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/5ddep2>
>
> But then again, you can't hang it on your wall.

Very true - and I do have it bookmarked! (but centered near Etna Summit)...
My favorite is the 'Satellite' (or 'Hybrid') viewing mode, but I will be using the 'TOPO' mode much more often now that topozone.com has been swallowed up by trails.com!!
I've also had/used Google Earth for quite some time - with the PCT trace and all the section start/end points, natural water points in SoCal, points of interest, Sierra passes, etc. plotted and saved under "My Places"...

But being a map 'nut', there is something nice about opening a big map and spreading it out on a table and studying it for a long period of time - sometimes comparing it to other maps (i.e., a NF map or a wilderness area map) or the PCT Data Book or the new PCT Atlas (Volume 1)...  Just another way to 'dream' about the trail until I thru...

Happy trails!!!
Jim "PITA" Payne